You Are Reading

OUGD405 - Photoshop Induction - Part 2

After the last induction, we were given a shape and were told to take a series of photographs for our next induction. We were also told to select five of our favourites for use within a postcard brief within the session, I highlighted mine in blue. All of my photos were taken in RAW so I opened the last one and saved it as a jpeg file for use in the session.


This is the photo I transformed:


Now I have prepared my photo, I am going to go through the induction and go through what Simon is teaching us. First he told us to open photoshop and then follow through the file tools and select the 'Load files into stack' button.


Then to follow through with the tutorial we were told to select the selection of 'Bean' images as we were going to create an image from a mass amount of photos so that all of the moving parts of the photo would dissapear and we'd only be left with the stationary image.


After selecting all of the files, we were told to select the option of creating a smart object. Then we let it do its job and waited for it to finish. After it was done it was remained as a smart object that we could modify.


After that was done, we went down through the layer tools and clicked the median button, this then merged all of the images together to finish off with an image without any of the moving areas.



One thing we noticed was the fact the clouds had been destroyed in the image and we wanted the nice sky back in the photo. What we did was find a photo we liked of the sky and drag it into the file. I chose this one and laid it over the top of my smart layer.


We were then told to remove the section of that image where the people were. To finish the photo, I rasterised the new photo and then erased the bottom of the image until all that was left of the top photo was the sky.



Next we were going to be taught how to create a contact sheet on photoshop. To do this, you go into automate and select the contact sheet button.


The box that comes up is easy to work with but a bit annoying. First you need to select either the folder of images you want to use or select the images individually.


After those settings have been chosen, photoshop will make the contact sheet for us.


After that was made, we were now aware how to create a contact sheet. Now we were going to learn how to print double sided and about Loss-less and Lossy file formats. a Tiff file is a loss-less file which doesnt loose any detail so is best for prints, but a jpeg is a lossy file which will lose detail when saved.



As you can see in the information of each file, the Tiff file is a lot bigger than the jpeg.


We were told to save an example of each side of a postcard to learn how to print double sided.


To do it you have to open adobe acrobat and then combine the files to a PDF, this is then saved and then opened in preview to make printing easier.



After that is done, the correct settings are then selected and it is ready for print.


Now we have learned all of this objectives of this induction, it was time to create my own postcards.

Here are the range of photos I took for this brief.



I selected two of my photos which contained the theme of photography and then edited them in RAW, this gave me more control on the details of the photographs I was editing.



These were then placed in an A5 postcard canvas on photoshop for further manipulation.

I started with the photo of the camera and started by filtering it through a cut out selection to make it seem quite cartoony.


Then I erased the edges so only the inside of the lens was left in that filter pre-set.


Then finally i added a motion blur to the background of the image.


For my next photo, I chose to follow the route of photography, this would be my chosen theme and i would attempt to create my body of work in postcard format through this.


After cropping down my photo to A5 portrait, I made the lens cap a cut out with the same filter settings as before. As well as my previous I made the background have a motion blur to make the lens cap the focal point.



After i finished with these images, I decided to take some more photos on the subject as the ones I had already taken weren't very relevant to what I wanted to do.



Looking at my new photos, I wasn't too sure if I liked my old ones because of the filters. I decided to discard them as they just looked like I was a kid playing with a basic editing program. Instead I chose 5 photos out of the photos I had taken in total as to what I wanted to use.






I chose a range of three portrait photographs and two landscape photographs to give me a bit of variation.
As I took them all with a DSLR, I wasn't wanting to edit them much because I was so happy with the quality. So instead I decided to develop the idea of circles through them. I wanted them all to work as a set and communicate the idea of circles within photography. Photography is transmitted through a lens (a combination of circular plates made of glass). This is where my idea would rest.

For my first edit, I lowered the saturation then used the circle shape tool to illustrate a pattern down the centre of the image across the lens. After that I used the render filter to create a lens flare to make it more appropriate to the message. Finally I added a texture over the top if it to look quite worn away and erased the top area of saturation.


To follow the series, I did a similar thing to each photo.





Now all of these post cards have been finished I needed to sort out a back for all of them. I decided i wanted all of them to work as the same series so they'd all have the same backing portrait and landscape. Each would contain a pattern consisting of circles as well as type extended the meaning with the visual interpretation.









Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.