Obviously I haven't had the opportunity and still don't have the chance to go and take photos of different whales so I will have to work with stock images from online. This will be fine as it's not a real publication, however if it was, it'd have to be primary source photography or it would be infringing copyright.
The photos I found and were happy with were the following:
These would consist of two icon photos as well as a background photo. Now I have chosen the photos I have, I can now make some thumbnail designs to play with the layout consisting of the images, header, sub-header and body copy.
[photos of thumbnails]
The one I decided to go with was my favourite of the selection. To start it off I went into photoshop and made a document with the appropriate dimensions of the double page spread including the bleed.
I made some guides to fit the margin and borders, this will match my InDesign document when I set that up.
The photo was then laid into place as well as the header and sub-header for further editing.
For the editing of my image, I wanted the whale to seem as if it was swimming through the words to give it some more character and depth to the image. To do this I lowered the opacity of the type and erased parts of the letters as if the whale was in front of them.
Now my background image was made, it was time to create the InDesign document to lay out my double page spread. To set up the document, I made it so the dimensions were reflected on my brief, but halved the width as I was making it two pages wide. I also added 3mm bleed and 12.7mm margins to reflect my background file. 3 pages were made because the first page is always a single page.
It was then time to display my body copy and my other two images into the four columns. The body copy involved was the following:
"Like most animal groups, whales have subcategories and an enormous range of species within them. In fact, “whale” is the english definition for a variety of different marine based mammals under the name ‘Cetacea’.
First I cropped the photos I was using into the right size to then place as an anchored file in my text box. This would make everything easier in layout as the photos would move with the text.
And there it was finished! Last thing I needed to do was print it.