You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 1 - Packaging Design.

I got to work on the packaging concept for my print info pack and was inspired by an example i have posted on my Design Context blog of a pair of wooden panels which are tied together by pieces of elastic. My idea derived from this and consists of two pieces of wood bound with a spine with some kind of black book binding material with an elastic strand on the back which can be pulled over the top of the front board to create a sealed package.



Because the wooden panels would be laser engraved for detail I drew out some pattern ideas of things related to screen printing and lino-printing.


To close the packaging I had to source some black elastic at ideally 12mm, this ended up being quite cheap from ebay which was good news.




I drew out some more accurate and detailed plans and sketches with measurements and design aspects to be more clear. This couldn't be done till after the books were made because I wasn't sure how thick they would all be together. After working it out I put it all on paper.



I realised after I designed the covers to be as simple as possible to increase the chance of successful finishes on them I needed to keep consistency with the laser cut packaging. For this reason I disregarded the illustrations I had previously done and kept it simple with the Solomon typeface.

The back panel consisted solely of the eyelets for the elastic strap to be cut out.



All that was left was production.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.