You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 3 - Branding and Identity.

For the branding and identity of my museum I wanted to combine both the aesthetics of old lead type and cleaner modern sans-serif type. Of course being a type-based museum, the letterforms and typefaces used in the branding are very important.

I went through a large selection of different font families and type faces until coming to a decision on my serif body copy font. This happened to be a font called 'Fenix'. Very similar to the Caslon typefaces and had a strong feel of importance, professionalism and a classic-esque to it.



For the decision of the sans-serif font I went through my collections and further in a hope to find a typeface which balanced itself with the differences of the serif font but also felt chunkier but clean. i narrowed my decision down to a variety but after trying them all with the chosen name, this one came to be the winner for it's condensed and minimalist forms, 'DIN Condensed'.




Now I had the header and body copy typefaces under my belt I began to work on logo ideas and concepts one evening.




The idea working into the 3D form of a piece of lead type inspired me to develop it further. I chose to use the initials of the chosen name 'TF' in a lowercase bodoni font to match the serif font's aesthetics but not be the same to balance variety and consistency.




This was then taken further with 3D mapping and then a fine-liner drawing to get the hand rendered, blunt  effect a piece of metal type possesses.





This was then scanned in and image traced into a vector which increased the blocky/bluntness I was after with some adjustments to the sliders. This completed the logo and I felt it represented the museum's theme and contents perfectly.



This then combined with the type that I chose very well and completed the identity stage of the project.


The last thing to keep into consideration was the colour pallet of the museum. To begin with I thought I could bring in the idea of lead type with colour too, black, lead grey and white.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.