You Are Reading

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 2 - Collaborative Practice - Designs

To begin my half of the design work, I thought I'd first design the app icon with custom typography that domino's have started to consistently use in their branding.

Keeping into consideration the branding guidelines, I already had a colour scheme and fonts to work with so I went from there and developed this within the limits of a grid I made from IOS7 apps. I also wanted to make sure that the sizing of it was appropriate in real life sizing for the phone.






I was quite happy with the turn-out for this and felt as well as the app icon, this could work on the landing page too as the identity introduction to the app.

The layout of the app would work as follows:





With the landing page I wanted a loading ring to work below the typography to show that the app was doing something. I recalled me and Joe discussing a spinning pizza earlier in the project so decided to give that a go.


I had another idea to make slices of the pizza disappear as it went around so decided to play on that thought.



I shall see what Joe thinks about it once we meet up again but I am kind of preferring the idea of it spinning. Maybe with corrections and improvements the disappearing one could work better as a proposal.

To piece the landing page together I needed to create a grid to follow throughout the application for consistency, I will send this to Joe too so we both come together with similar layouts.


This grid keeps the tool bar space at the top in consideration as well as the mobile status bar. The margins are 36px on each of the other sides.



The first app page I started was the profile page, I made a note of the elements I needed to include and began laying it all out. This was: 
Photo, username, friends, pizzas, money saved through the app and a social wall.

To give the added dimension that IOS7 consistently runs through their operating system, I thought to put a blurred out photo of pizza for the background, this also works in the brand guidelines. So first thing I did was take one of Domino's photos, blurred it out, made it the right screen size and saved it as a TIFF file.



The contents would be suspended above the photo to give that dimension I spoke about above, to present them I decided to put them in blue boxes as it's a dark colour that would really push it forward, these content boxes would be the only things that moved, the photo would be fixed. The top would contain the profile info, the second would be the favourite pizza section and the bottom one would be the feed wall.



Custom type would be used as headers to help the content stand out and help the audience find what they are looking for better. I thought to push this over the blue boxes as well as the background to mix those dimensions and push it even further forward. A photo box was also added to the profile and also the feed to show who posted the message. I collected the photos by searching 'guy' and 'girl' in google images with the resolution set to highest to get good quality photos. Names were just random.









The content was then distributed within the grid appropriately for a well balanced and consistent page layout.



I sent this to Joe and he was very impressed and asked for the inDesign file so he could adapt his pages to suit the design I had created. This would make life easier for us to keep everything consistent.

I duplicated this page but in the view of one user to another (Jon looking at Cathy's profile).



This then lead to me thinking of more elements to involve on the profile page if you scrolled down so I worked on the idea of  love & hate list as well as an image gallery of purchased pizzas through the app. Pizza photos were achieved the same way as people's faces.



The next page I needed to design was the QR page, this would be used to scan the QR code sticker which would be stuck to the pizza box on delivery to share the 'story' of the pizza, who it's with, why it was bought, what it is, etc.

I based this primarily off the IOS7 camera app but altered it appropriately for the use it would possess.



After completing these pages, i sent them to Joe for feedback and he mentioned the photos being in circles because pizzas are that shape as well as IOS7's large foundation on circles. We also discussed the body copy font and sizing for the feed and changed it to a light font in the brand guidelines.

Another amendment we decided to make was to make the blurred pizza background on the landing page, the problem i found originally was it was too busy which disobeyed the brand guidelines, joe then mentioned adding a white layer with low opacity over the top of it, this worked a treat.


Landing/Loading page


Profile page

Friend's profile

Friends Profile Scrolled Down

Swipe

QR Scanner
The next page I needed to design was the customise your own pizza page, this would give customers the chance to alter original pizzas or create their very own pizza and name it too.





This was then followed by the menu and product page.





I felt that this navigation and layout flowed better than with the customise your own pizza page so even though I spent the majority of a day designing that, later on in the project I may alter that to fit with this layout better.

The last page I needed to sort out was the feed which Joe began, I didn't feel that it flowed well with there rest of the app as it was very stiff and didn't seem very friendly.



I added a bit more character as well as the feature to make a post yourself, this promotes the idea of making connections.

Finally I redesigned the customise page to connect it to the menu and product pages and make it more seamless. I also changed the topping changing button into a customise button which would link to the page.




Now the app was completed we needed to get other elements of the campaign sorted such as the promotional boxes, these were largely Joe's responsibility to complete, amend and test the packaging net as my finger was broken at this time and I had more use completing digital work.

We both went and laser-cut some cardboard we had found with the net he had created and then made the boxes up, we figured out what needed to be amended and I then let Joe sort that out so we could complete the boxes.

Once they were done we went down to Vernon street to screen print our design onto them, this didn't work as perfect as we'd hoped as it was very difficult to register all three colours when white was a base layer and was slightly off.







Once these were folded we took them straight to the photography studio and took photos of them as well as the phone app.










This would add to the content for our design boards to present our ideas and campaign with more detail along with presentation quality.

I started designing advertisements for bus shelters and bill-boards.

First, the idea was to put two photos together of the pizza boxes being put together to make the logo. This looked incredibly cheesy so was discarded.



Next was using the app photo for a bus shelter advert, spending a few hours really made the difference, turning this photo into a professional domino's advert with a clever use of hierarchy and distance viewing for more information to be visible as people get closer.






Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.