You Are Reading

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 1 - Publication Planning

Printing method:

In regards to the printing method that will be used to print my publication I will not be completely sure until the design is complete. If the body copy's point size is large enough I would like to attempt screen printing the whole book in black with a consistent spot colour throughout. This would help me keep the environment in consideration as i would have the opportunity to use water-based inks to reflect on the bike's environmentally friendly nature. However if the body copy is too small to screen print I'd digitally print the black and then screen print the spot colour over that.

Binding method:

To be consistent with the simple nature and aesthetics of fixed gear bicycles I don't want anything too complicated and i want it on show so the neat and functional design works with the binding and the subject matter. I think stab-stitching would be the best way of achieving this effect. However I have never done it so I will organise to see Sarah at Vernon Street to see if she could teach me and allow me some time to practice. This will have to be done after the 7th as my finger is broken and will not be fixed until then. Stab stitching is a Japanese method of binding which would also help build on my context as fixed gears are the most modernist form of bicycles possibly as they are stripped down to the most functional elements of mechanical parts.

Stock used:

Because bicycles are so environmentally friendly I want my stock to speak that too, I will use an unbleached stock which will naturally be an off-white colour. I would like an amount of grain which feels good to touch but not enough to destroy printing details or make the body copy illegible. I found a seemingly appropriate stock to use from Gruppo Cordenons in Italy called Flora Anice Uncoated which is a 100% recycled and naturally textured 130gsm stock. I sent them an email to enquire if they have it available in A3 to use in my publication as well as a sample.




The reply I received confirmed they have it in both weights available in SRA3 which is far better than expected.This will give me the necessary space to trim the publication down to exact size. I ordered a sample to test with folds and print as well as texture and feel.

Packaging method:

These are the ideas I had on the packaging for my publication, I shall find out in the crit what people think will work best.







Imagery:

For the photographs in my publication I have e-mailed a professional freelance action photographer in hope that he could provide me with some high resolution images that would complement the design of my publication.




He sent me a variety of 100 photos to choose from and I picked my favourites for the work from them, I also requested some I saw from his website.



























After receiving the full resolution copies I had all the imagery I could need. Our crit provided me with the push I needed to continue with the design.



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.