You Are Reading

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1 - Individual Practice - D&AD New Blood Awards - Purdey's Part 2

I broke my ring finger on my left hand which left me with no writing/drawing hand for five weeks. Progress was stalled until then.

When my finger was mended I got back to work on hand-rendered type and experimented with painting.


After I had painted a range of outcomes of each letter with the brush, I photographed them and edited them to black and white and with heavy contrast. These were then image traced in the exact same way as before.








With these letters, I recreated my previous design. This was far more successful and communicated the busy, rushed, energetic and lively values I was aiming to.



From the last crit I was also recommended to swap Rejuvenate and Purdey's as the hierarchy was wrong.


Once that design was completed I needed to come up with a similar motivational quote for the natural energy bottle.

Fresh air, green trees, blue skies, long walks. Feel good. Feel right.

Breathe, look, touch, create, experience. Feel good. Feel right.

I liked the second one best and felt it to be more relevant to the drink's name so I created the type.



When the design was on the bottle it felt very empty in comparison to the other bottle, I needed to add another line to make it work.

Breathe, look, touch, create, experience, do something. Feel good. Feel right.



To create the mockup I took the original Purdey's bottle and spent a while on photoshop turning it into the coating I wanted and then putting my design on it. This was done with each colour.






I also tried adding illustrations to see what it'd look like but it didn't work very well with the clean and rough type.


Once that was sorted out I got my design boards sorted out and designed to present my work to submit to D&AD.








This was then submitted and paid for.


Looking back over my work I really wish I gave myself more time to complete it and push it further. My broken finger for five weeks certainly didn't help me much with the manual elements but if I had an extra week or two I would of pushed it further with marketing campaigns and point of sale designs.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.