You Are Reading

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1 - Individual Practice - Trappedaudio Logo

I was approached by Jack, the founder of an upcoming music events company based in Manchester as he was in need of an identity for his soon to be company. I knew this was going to be a heavy challenge as he was not yet a professional and therefore didn't word things very well which made it difficult to understand what he was actually after.

Example:

"i dont want it too look like that I'm just trying to give you an example ill look for something else to try show you what i mean i dont want to be branded like them i just feel that the way they have down it is something to look at and i feel its quite powerful but ill find something to show you what i mean mate"

However, I accepted, took a deposit and got to work.

This was the first outcome I came out with, To then be told that Trapped Audio was actually one word, Trappedaudio and he didn't like the symbolism.


That being said changed the direction and I tried to 'trap' the words between two lines to make a relevant visual theme.


He then said it looked too plain and asked for one of the letters to be screwed up a bit and split the word in half (making two words?).


He didn't like it being split but he liked the warped O, he asked for the T to also be screwed up.


Then he changed his mind again and wanted the split.


And then realised he wanted it at the same level.


Even though I advised against it, he wanted a sound wave underlining the logo.


He absolutely loved it, which I am glad about, but in a sense I didn't design it, I just followed badly read instructions until coming to a final outcome.

For the Facebook cover photo for his social networking, he said he wanted a random object along with the logo and 'coming soon'. I asked if a hamster cage would be a good idea as it went with the trapped theme and he said to go for it.

I halftoned an image of a hamster cage and placed in in a banner and then he decided he didn't like the sound wave underline.


Once I had changed that back, he told me that a mousetrap would be better than a hamster cage.


He finally liked it so I got the file ready to send along with the logo.





Once he made the final payment for the files I sent them over to him

I will be honest and say I didn't enjoy this brief at all, it seemed like simple logo design for a music based company but it just turned into me wasting a lot of time because of him changing his mind or deciding to do something else. I have definitely learned that communication is an absolutely massive part of each brief and if what is wanted can't be communicated, it's just a guessing game until it is right.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.