You Are Reading

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 3 - A Safe Place

As the brief is a very short one I got going on it straight away to get it out the way so I could focus on my more important content filled briefs.

I watched the film to understand it as well as read up on it just in case it had any meanings that I didn't understand while watching it. Here are some promotional images used for the film too:






After watching it, I watched it again and wrote down times for important or visual scenes that would help in my ammunition for the poster.

I then went through them and screen shotted them.

















With these images I mocked up a photoshop file to plan out my composition.



My next phase was to draw out the whole composition by hand so it had a less accurate but more detailed edge to it at the same time as allowing for amendments.








The drawing was then photographed and imported to illustrator where I began vectoring the line-work. This was the longest process of the project and taught me a lot of patience as well as some practical techniques which will help my future practice.












The colours I decided to go with were dark blue and orange on white, these colours were chosen because of their huge contrast (due to being complementary colours) which are balanced by the vast amount of white. This equates to a visually impacting poster with bright colours reflecting the time it was filmed.





I game the original film's font a go and it didn't work with the sharp graphics at all as it was rounded and very hippy. I chose Helvetica Bold to work coexistentially with the imagery.





My submission was then sent to alternative movie posters.



I wanted to screen print this poster at A2 scale. This would be big enough to make a large impact and I have also wanted to screen print such a large print for a while.

I separated the colours using the path divider and merge tools and then got the positives ready to be screen printed. Orange would go first on the press and then blue.



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.